Monday, January 18, 2010

*Holly Bake*

My daughter turned 2 last week and I decided that she NEEDED a Barbie cake. I always had wanted one when I was a kid so I was actually only fulfilling my own desires!!

I used the pans below and made my favorite chocolate cake recipe. So simple but so good. I made a butter cream frosting with a little shortening in it to give it some stability. I'm not overly impressed by my decorating skills but it's not too bad for my first one.


This barbie is about 25 years old...I was too cheap to go and buy a new Barbie so I just pulled my old one out from a box of keepsakes.
The layers of the cake.
Since it was only the 4 of us we had ton's of cake leftover.
I believe this would feed a party of 20 at the least.


My favorite Chocolate Cake
(One Bowl Cake)

1 cup buttermilk
1 cup water
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2, 9" round pans or about 18 cupcakes. In large bowl combine buttermilk, water, oil, sugar, eggs, baking soda, and salt. Using a large whisk, whisk until well combined. Add flour and cocoa powder; whisk vigorously until smooth. Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes for round pans or around 15-18 minutes for cupcakes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment